MPAN Request (Meter Point Administration Number Request)

Some times you will need your meter number (MPAN) in order to switch your electricity supplier.  You can get hold of this number as follows:

  • Electricity Bill : If you have an existing electricity bill for your property you should be able to find your MPAN on this. MPANs are often printed at the bottom of the first page of your bill or on the back of the front page.
  • MPAN from a DNO MPAS Service:  If you can’t find the meter number on your bill you can always contact your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) who is responsible for the distribution network for your area. They will be able to provide you with the 13 digit MPAN number over the telephone.

In the majority of cases this will be enough information to arrange the transfer of your electricity supply.  While you are speaking with them ask them to send the information to you so that you get the full MPAN.
The telephone numbers for each Distribution Company's MPAS service are shown below:.

North Scotland

SSE Power Distribution

0800 300 999

South Scotland

SP Power Systems

0845 272 7999

North East England

CE Electric (NEDL)

0845 6013268

North West England

United Utilities

0800 195 4141


CE Electric (YEDL)

0845 3300889

East Midlands

Central Networks

0800 056 8090

West Midlands

Central Networks

0800 328 1111

Eastern England

EDF Energy

0800 783 8838

South Wales

Western Power Distribution

0800 052 0400

Southern England

SSE Power Distribution

08457 70 80 90


EDF Energy

0800 028 0247

South East England

EDF Energy

0800 783 8866

South West England

Western Power Distribution

0800 365 900

North Wales, Merseyside and Cheshire

SP Manweb

0845 272 2424